Ashley Wood (born 1971) is an Australian comic book artist and illustrator who is well known for his cover art, concept design and his work as an art director.
Ash generally works in mixed media, often combining oil painting with digital artmaking or working in inks and markers. His style contains elements of expressionism and is constantly developing. In recent years, he has given a stronger focus to his oil painting works and less focus on digital works.
Ashley Wood is an award winning illustrator who worked for many years in both the U.K. and international comic book worlds (working on characters such as the British icon Judge Dredd), before breaking into the United States market where he worked for such companies as Marvel and DC. Ash later worked for Image creating graphic novels and cover art for the various Spawn properties of Todd McFarlane. More recently, he has been pursuing projects with IDW Publishing.
Ashley Wood has also many forms of entertainment media, having contributed to both movie and TV projects. He has also worked solidly in the field of advertising and is an exhibited fine artist.
Working in conjunction with Konami Japan and Japanese producer/director Hideo Kojima to produce Metal Gear Solid comics, Ashley Wood assisted in creating one of the world's first digital comics for Sony's PlayStation Portable platform, the Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel. Following this, he also supplied art for the cinema scenes in the 2006 PlayStation Portable game Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops and for the comic book adaptation of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, which is receiving the same digital treatment as its predecessor.
Ashley Wood is the creator of the Popbot series of graphic novels and has illustrated a new series of the cult comic Tank Girl with writer Alan Martin and Rufus Dayglo. He also created the artwork for British rock band Reuben's third album, In Nothing We Trust.
In 2004, Ashley Wood and TP Louise formed 7174 PTY LTD., an Australian-based entertainment company. Operating from Australia on a global scale, 7174 is active in creating entertainment properties for the comic, film, toy, and video game industry among others.
Using an international network of development partners, coupled with the vast experience 7174 has, the company acts as an "umbrella" organization which allows Ash to create, own, and distribute his creations through a variety of media outlets.
Already, 7174 has produced the hit comics Popbot and Lore with IDW Publishing, and is currently active in Hollywood.
In 2008, Ashley Wood and ThreeZero founder Kim Fung Wong created threeA, a Hong Kong based production house for designing, developing and manufacturing toys, posters, prints and clothing based on characters created and designed by Ashley Wood.
Comics and trade paperbacks
- Zombies Vs Robots
- Zombies vs Robots vs Amazons
- Popbot 1 - 8
- Popbot Reader
- Popbot Collection 1 (Collects Issues 1-3)
- Popbot Collection 2 (Collects Issues 4-6)
- Popbot Complete (Collects Issues 1-7)
- Popbot Big Beautiful Book (Collects Issues 1-8)
- Duo Stars (Issue 1)
- Automatic Kafka (Issues 1 - 9)
- Metal Gear Solid
- Metal Gear Solid Sons Of Liberty
- D'Airain Aventure (Issues 1, 2)
- 30 Days of Night (Original series covers)
- Ghost Rider 2099
- Doom 2099
- Tank Girl: The Gifting
- Sam and Twitch
- Silent Hill
- Dampyr (Covers only)
- Dark Horse Down Under #1-3
- Reptilia (Cover only)
- Transformers: Generations (Variant covers to #1-6)
- 24Seven Vol. 2 (Cover and Pin-Up)
- The Nightmare Factory OGN (Cover only)
- Children of the Grave TPB (Cover only)
- The Authority: Scorched Earth (Cover only)
- Uncanny X-Men #400 (Cover and some interior pages)
- Civil Wardrobe
- Kade: Sun of Perdition #4 (Variant cover)
- Grendel: Red, White and Black
- Star Wars Tales #16 (Cover only)
- Event Horizon Vol 1 and 2 Mam Tor Publishing (Sheriff 13 short in Vol 1, Closing Pandora short in Vol 2)
- Snaked (Covers)
- Miss + Mrs Volume 1
- Adventure Kartel Primer June 2011
- Next Issue Project: Fantastic Comics #24